Friday 9 March 2012

Sweet Potato

Dropped by wholesale market along Jalan Lintas near Beverly after collecting a cheque from my client.  I bought 1/4 water melon, a bunch of banana, a cempedak, 20 limau kasturi, ginger and 4 sweet potatoes.  Costs me RM12. Cheap as compared if I were to buy from Foh Sang, Borneon or Lido.

I boiled the sweet potatoes this morning.  After a while, I found out that the water turned green.  This is a strange colour as the sweet potatoes are purple in colour.  I even cut off the tip to confirm the colour as I have never seen green sweet potatoes.  Could it be the fertilizer colour or insecticides that the farmer used?  Out of curiosity, I changed into clean water and continue boiling.  Again, the water turned green, but after a while, the water turned into purple similar to the colour of the sweet potatoes.


In water colouring, purple is mixed by red and blue. I suppose the green colour must have come from the colour pigments of the sweet potatoes.

Strange.  But I still ate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment