Sunday 23 September 2012

Wedding Dinner

I attended a wedding banquet in Tanjung Aru Shangrila Beach Hotel last night. In fact, I only accompanied my husband. Most of the time, I don't like to go out with my husband to social with his friends. This time, he bought an evening dress for me. So, I thought I'd better attend. Anyway, this wedding dinner was invited by a senior Taiwan Alumni member. His daughter got married.

I was quite impressed when I saw a big board displaying the dining tables and all the guests' names were printed so that we could find out where we sat easily. Every guests can pick a tag already prepared with their names and table number written on the tag. We were given our tag, and were greeted by the bride's father. For Chinese, we always bring along an ang pow (red packet with money inside as indication of well wishes) for the newly wed. Because the ang pow is sealed, you would not know how much money is inside. In fact, it is only well wishes. Whoever receives ang pow should not mind the amount of money inside. The bride's father asked all the guests to give the ang pow to the receptionist. The receptionist asked to look at the tag to find out which table the guest sat, and wrote the table number on the ang pow. I was embarrassed and shocked to see this manner of receiving ang pow. This is really a disgrace on Chinese. Furthermore, the bride's father graduated from Taiwan. I believed he should know what "ang pow" meant, and how it should be received.

Perhaps I should pull out the money and hand the empty packet over so that I can be blacklisted, and never be invited to his dinner. T.T.

I sincerely hope that this will not happen again in Kota Kinabalu. What a bad example!

No comments:

Post a Comment